Sunday, December 13, 2009

You ve Got Mail

I watched You've Got Mail on TV last night, and even though it was probably the 5th or 6th time I've seen it, it was completely enjoyable to see again.

It's true that I'd like you to think I have pretty high taste when it comes to films; that I prefer my movies to have done well at Sundance or Cannes. But the fact is, I'm a sucker for a really good romantic comedy - though the good ones are so rare.



In spite of the fact that the plot of this movie is convoluted and unbelievable, every moment rings true for me. And it doesn't hurt that I'm in love with the stars, Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. Plus it has a great supporting cast: Dabney Coleman, Parker Posey, Greg Kinnear, Jean Stapleton, and Dave Chappel. What fun. Not to mention, it's set in New York City, AND it features music by Harry Nilsson! What's not to like?

You've Got Mail only got a B- on Yahoo Movies, and 68% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I think it's destined to be a classic. I'm sure I'll watch it again and again.

When this movie was released in 1998 I'd just recently seen the old 1940s movie it's based on, which made it all the more fun. If you haven't see The Shop Around The Corner with Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan I highly recommend it, especially if you like You've Got Mail.


No comments:

Post a Comment