Monday, February 23, 2009

And the Oscar goes to....

I enjoyed watching the Oscars last night & correctly predicted 11 out of 13 categories! But I can't brag about that too much since it was a pretty predictable contest. I'm not sure why it is that I continue to be such a fan of the Oscars, especially since I've been disappointed with so many recent winners (No Country For Old Men, The Departed, Crash.) There's just something about the Academy Awards show that I continue to love, though I'm not sure if it's the fairy tale quality of it all - the stars, the gowns, the glamour & excitement - or just waiting to see what outrageous thing will happen & what will go wrong.

I thought Ben Stiller's impression of Joaquin Phoenix was in bad taste. Funny, yes, but is it fair to make fun of the mentally ill? I liked Hugh Jackman's opening number, but could have done without the "Salute to Musicals" - what was the point of that? I also didn't like Queen latifah singing (a romantic song) over the montage of those who've died. That just didn't seem right. But in general I thought it was a pretty good show - my favorite moment being when Kate Winslet asked her dad to whistle.

No comments:

Post a Comment