Thursday, January 22, 2009

January Thaw?

Today is my twin sons 28th birthday. And it's the first time I won't be with them to celebrate. I'm in Detroit, they're in Kalamazoo, and since they're grown up married men it seemed about time their mom stopped planning their birthday celebration. But still... I miss them, and I miss the tradition of getting them a special cake and lighting their candles twice.

I dreamt last night about planning a birthday party. I made a lot of cupcakes and invited a lot of guests, but things kept going wrong. I overcooked the spaghetti, there wasn't enough sauce, the guests were getting hungry and bored, and then the birthday boy, my son, disappeared. He went somewhere with his friends without letting me know and I didn't know how to find him.

There was also something in this dream about curtains that wouldn't work and a broken phone. It was obviously a frustration dream. I was trying so hard to make this event a success, a happy success, but everything kept going wrong and working against me. Which sounds a lot like my life. There's no need to dig too deeply into the psychological interpretation of this dream.

There's often a thaw right about the time of my sons birthday, but not this year. Winter is really getting to me. I've had my fill of cold and snow and grey skies. I would be somewhere else if I could, somewhere warm and bright and esthetically pleasing, but I am here, in the rotting industrial hulk of Detroit, far away from everyone and everything I care about (except for bb and rust), in the middle of another winter, during a recession, with the crazy world in peril - but at least George W is gone. Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment