Monday, May 17, 2010

Babies



We went to see the movie Babies yesterday. This is a documentary that follows the first year of four babies from four different places on Earth: Mongolia, Namibia, San Francisco and Tokyo. (Though I don't think San Francisco is actually too very different from Tokyo.)

The babies, of-course, are incredibly cute, and I appreciate that this documentary was done without narration. The story is essentially told from the infants' point of view as they come to discover and navigate their disparate worlds.

But what's especially fascinating about this movie is the way it takes you into a Mongolian yurt and a Namibian hut. It's fascinating to see that even though a baby might have nothing to play with but rocks, no running water, and spend her time crawling around in the dirt with goats, she makes the same developmental strides and thrives just as well as her more pampered peers.

I was so engrossed I was sorry to see this movie end, though BB said she'd seen just enough. I liked it so much I'd see it again. It's charming, funny, beautifully shot, and the music is good, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment