Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Another loss in the video rental war

Until just recently this was the closest Blockbuster to my new home. It closed down a few weeks ago, another victim of the evil Netflix, and what a sad, sad thing.

I love video rental shops: strolling the racks of new releases, holding the actual DVD cases in my hands, being among other happy DVD renters, and maybe even exchanging a few pleasant words with the staff.

Why would I want to trade that for more time at my computer and getting movies in the mail I might not even be in the mood to see? I just don't get it.

What if I'm in the mood for a comedy, but a slew of drama's have come up on my "queue"? I'd so much rather pick out a movie I'm in the mood for WHEN I'm in the mood for it. And I'd so much rather deal with a real place and real people than another cyber-shop.

Thankfully there's a "Family Video" near me, a great DVD section at my library, and another Blockbuster not too far away and still in business - for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment